Thursday, September 20, 2007

No official responses, yet

It's been a little over a week since the accident, so it's time for an update.

The day I started this blog, I wrote an email to the Better Transit Without Trolleys web site. Although the site does not appear to have recent postings, I got a prompt response from one of its members, who suggested that I write to the Mayor of Boston, who has begun cycling recently himself.

I did so, and urged His Honor to have a look at this blog. I did not get a reply, not even an automated "Thank You." Either my message ended up in a spam filter, or nobody in the Mayor's office has time to respond to emails from constituents.

Yesterday I emailed a letter to the editors of the Jamaica Plain Gazette. I followed protocol and included my home address and telephone number for verification purposes. I haven't heard from them yet, but I hope to soon.

Last week, an attorney friend asked me if I had collected the names and numbers of witnesses at the accident scene. Unfortunately, I was so rattled, it didn't occur to me to do so. I was just happy to be ambulatory, and was panicking a little about the size my fingers were swelling up to. My friend suggested that if I were considering a law suit, it would help to have witnesses. It wasn't until that point in time that the idea even entered my head. I am not inclined to sue the city. All I want is to get some sort of acknowledgment or response from the city on this issue. I'd like to know when those tracks are coming up.

Last night, another friend suggested writing to my City Councilor, John Tobin. She has heard that Mr. Tobin has an excellent reputation for replying to letters and emails from his constituents. I'm planning on referring him to this blog today.

I am still experiencing lower back pain and pain in my right shoulder. The knuckles on my left hand are still tender, but overall I feel like I'm in pretty good shape. I went for a ride last weekend, and the bike is good and I felt alright afterwards. I'm fairly sure that I did not sustain a major injury due to this accident, but I'm keeping a watch on my lower back, which started acting up a few days after the impact incident.

No comments: